July 26, 2012
From James Paterson
The Washington Post recently listed 14 reasons why the current US Congress is the worst ever. The list says more about the Post than it does about the Congress – their number one complaint is that Congress is not passing enough laws!
If only our parliament had the same problem, as this new video from Chris Berg explains:
The video launched the IPA’s brand new FreedomWatch program on threats to freedom of speech and personal liberty. Read more about it here.
On Monday 6th August Opposition Leader Tony Abbott will address the IPA on freedom of speech in Sydney. Click here to book your tickets.
How many times have you heard that the government invented the internet? Well – surprise, surprise – it turns out they didn’t.
Donna Laframboise has now left Australia after a fantastic tour through Perth, Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne. The video of Donna’s full presentation is now online for those of you who missed seeing her live, or those who want to share her speech with your friends. Oh, and if you watch that and agree with Donna then The New York Times thinks it is because you are stupid.
Lastly, if you’re looking for something long to read, then try this article from last week’s Businessweek on why Estonia proves Paul Krugman is wrong about stimulus spending.
Here’s what else the IPA said this week:
- Julie Novak, Don’t hold breath for change in GST – The Canberra Times
- Chris Berg, The terrifyingly inscrutable minds behind mass murders – The Drum
- Julie Novak, Small government means better governance – The Drum
- Chris Berg, Let the cult begin – The Sunday Age
- John Roskam, Labor’s two-edged sword – The Australian Financial Review
- Tim Wilson, Government and car industry like Robin Hood in reverse – The Sydney Morning Herald
- Sinclair Davidson, Making ‘stuff’ doesn’t cut it: why Australia shouldn’t have a motor industry – The Conversation
Institute of Public Affairs | Level 2 | 410 Collins Street | Melbourne | Victoria | 3000 | Australia
|Subscribe to Hey... what did I miss, delivered each week for free directly into your inbox.|