September 13, 2012
From James Paterson
The NBN is really great and definitely not a waste of taxpayers’ money at all!
(Disclaimer: that sentence may or may not have been ghost-written by the Department of Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy. Here’s the article they wanted us to publish in the IPA Review. And here’s their email suggesting we should pretend we wrote it ourselves).
This is probably the most depressing chart you’ll ever see about America. It’s from this great essay in the Wall Street Journal recently on entitlements in the USA. Charles Koch’s article this week in the WSJ on crony capitalism is also a great read.
There’s nothing Hey readers like more than a good Nanny State story so here’s ‘18 examples of the Nanny State gone wild.’ This article in the New York Times about all the stuff banned in California is pretty amusing too.
Why am I not surprised? Apparently there’s no evidence that having your phone on during landing and take-off in a plane endangers anyone. (Which you would know already if you read Chris Berg in the IPA Review in September 2005).
I wish all academic papers were that practical. But I guess it also is important to know that some music videos feature alcohol – and that pop songs are getting sadder. And these academics aren’t even sure if a longer life expectancy is a good thing.
Our 75 ideas for Tony Abbott continue to stir debate. The Courier-Mail admits we have ‘some eminently sensible ideas‘ and The Punch kindly labels us as ‘smart’ and ‘relatively influential‘. We’ll be adding 25 more in the next edition of the Review – so make sure you join as a member to read them first!
The IPA is currently fundraising to support our research on climate change. Read the email James Delingpole sent to IPA members and supporters this week explaining why we need your donations.
Here’s what else the IPA said this week:
- Chris Berg, Is navel-gazing our fastest growing industry? – The Drum
- Julie Novak, States shrink at culling bloated bureaucracy – The Australian
- Chris Berg, Privacy to be sacrificed as Roxon takes liberties with our freedoms – The Sunday Age
- John Lloyd, Fair Work Act has unleashed mob rule and it’s spreading – The Australian
- Chris Berg, Troll debate officially out of hand – FreedomWatch
- Simon Breheny, When the government panics, the rule of law gets trashed – FreedomWatch
- Simon Breheny, Roxon under pressure after severe public backlash – FreedomWatch
Institute of Public Affairs | Level 2 | 410 Collins Street | Melbourne | Victoria | 3000 | Australia
|Subscribe to Hey... what did I miss, delivered each week for free directly into your inbox.|